Showing 5477 resultsGeauthoriseerde beschrijving
John Dell graduated from Victoria College in 1955, received a BA (1960) and a BLS (1963) from UBC. He joined the UVic Library as a cataloguer, Lansdowne campus 2 July 1963, and moved to McPherson Library in September of 1964. In 1996, Dell became Head of Cataloguing Services. He took early retirement in 1999. Dell was interested in photography and the UVic shield and crest.
Joseph Badenoch Clearihue was born in Victoria 20 December 1887, the second of three children of Joseph and Annie Clearihue. He had an older sister, Etholine, and a younger brother, Albert. Clearihue attended Boys' Central School and Victoria High School studying at Victoria College and Vancouver College. As there was no degree-granting institution in British Columbia, in 1909 Clearihue entered McGill University, from which he earned a Bachelor of Arts in 1911. The following year Clearihue received a Rhodes Scholarship, and entered Jesus College, Oxford to study Law, earning his Bachelor of Civil Law in 1914. At the outbreak of the Great War Clearihue was in France. He soon returned home and shortly thereafter received a commission and served at Fort Macauley in the Pacific Coast Defence. In May 1916 he enlisted and was assigned to the 62nd Battery, training at Petawawa before being shipped to England aboard the Cameronia in September. After further training in England, Clearihue transferred to the 51st Battery, 13th Brigade CFA, and travelled to Le Havre 25 August 1917. On 5 September Clearihue saw his first action at Lievin. He remained in France until after the conclusion of the War.
In June 1919 Clearihue returned to Canada for demobilization. In July he returned to Victoria and later that year opened his own law practice. Throughout his career, Clearihue served as a Liberal MLA and Victoria alderman, and as a lawyer before being appointed a county court judge in 1952. He was Chair of the Victoria College Council (1947-63), and guided the College to university status. In January 1962, Clearihue turned the first sod at the construction site of the Clearihue Building, which was the first building on the Gordon head campus. Clearihue was also the first Chancellor of the University of Victoria, and Chair of the Board of Governors (1963-66).
On 30 July 1924 Clearihue married Irene Mary Golding (1897-1978), whom he had met in London following the War. The couple had one daughter, Joyce Golding Clearihue, who was born 10 March 1927 and became a doctor. Joseph Clearihue died in Victoria 6 August 1976 at age 88.
The Victoria College Foundation was established by an act of the B.C. legislature in 1954 (S.B.C. c. 67) to manage donations to Victoria College. In 1963, when Victoria College became the University of Victoria, the act was amended (S.B.C. c. 61) to enable the foundation to manage donations to the University as well. In 1979, the name was formally changed to the University of Victoria Foundation. The Foundation is governed by a board, which includes the President and VP Finance of the University, and 2 members appointed by the UVic Board of Governors. As stated in the legislation, the purpose of the Foundation is to encourage financial support of the university through donations from individuals, corporations and foundations for scholarships, bursaries and other university purposes, and to promote a continuing interest in the university and in higher education generally. Accounting Services and the Development Office provide support services, and the University Secretary's Office is the secretariat.
Catherine “Katy” Reed was born 7 February 1921 in Palo Alto, California. In 1942 she received a Bachelor of Science in biology from San Jose State University. While at university she met Harold F. Madsen (1921-1987), whom she married following graduation. The couple had three children, Robert, Carol, and Ken. In 1960 the Madsens moved to Summerland, B.C. for Harold to work at the Summerland Research Station, but returned to California shortly thereafter. In 1964, Katy and Harold moved back to Summerland after Harold took as job as head of entomology at the station. Now living permanently in Canada, Katy became involved with the local naturalist club and in environmental campaigns in the Okanagan region concerning Brent Mountain, Spotted Lake, and uranium mining. She was a founding director of the Sierra Club of B.C. in 1969; a Director of Pacific N.W. Chapter of the Sierra Club from 1970-72; and an active member of the South Okanagan Club on B.C. Nature Council, and the Okanagan-Similkameen Parks Society. Madsen also played a large role in the 1980 moratorium on uranium mining, which remains in effect. In 1982, she returned to painting portraits and landscapes, and moved to Victoria in 1993. In 2013 Madsen received the Queen’s Jubilee Medal for her conservation work. She died 7 July 2017 at age 97.
Lavonne Huneck received a BA in Geography with an emphasis on regional conservation and has been involved in land-management decisions in BC. Huneck joined the Board of Directors of the Sierra Club, and was appointed chair of Forestry. She later separated from the Sierra Club over policy differences, and was appointed by the government to the Carmanah Valley Forest Management Advisory Committee (CVFMAC) as an environmental representative. Huneck has also been a member of several committees: a representative on the Forest Land Use Liaison Committee; the chair of Public Involvement, Interface Between Wildlife and Intensive Forestry Research; a member of the editorial board, Forest Planning Canada; and a member of Graham Bruces ad hoc Carmanah Community Committee.