- Corporate body
Showing 1963 resultsAuthority record
- Corporate body
- Corporate body
Sierra Club of Canada, B.C. Chapter has been active in B.C. since 1969 when it began as a small grassroots group dedicated to protecting the forests and lakes of the Nitinat Triange and West Cost Trail on Vancouver Island. In 1969, the group joined forces with Sierra Club (U.S.) to form the Sierra Club Western Canada Chapter. In 1989, when the Sierra Club of Canada was formed, the B.C. group was renamed the B.C. Chapter, one of five Canadian Chapters. From the beginning, it has been a democratic, grassroots organization dedicated to the conservation of British Columbia's natural legacy. The purpose of the club is to explore and protect the wild places of the earth; to practice and promote the responsible use of the earth's ecosystems and resources; to educate and enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment; and to use all lawful means to carry out these objectives.
The BC Chapter has had many successes, including: protecting the Nitinat Triangle on Vancouver Island; bringing international focus to Clayoquot Sound, now a model for change in community and First Nations management of our forests; leading the way for protection of over 70,000 hectares of ancient forests on Vancouver Island, including Carmanah, Tahsish and Tsitika/Robson Bight; ensuring that forest practices and policies be legislated; encouraging the creation of 156 new parks in B.C. including the Stein Valley, the Northern Rockies and Tatshenshini; using GIS mapping and satellite imagery to identify and help protect B.C.'s ancient coastal rainforest; negotiating moratoriums to prevent the destruction of pristine ancient forest valleys in B.C.'s Great Bear Rainforest; preventing destructive mining practices in Northern B.C.; securing a moratorium on fishing endangered Coho salmon stocks; successfully stopping the development of a coal burning power generation plant on Vancouver Island; and stopping the logging of Vancouver Island's Forest Ecosystem Networks (FENS).
Kenneth Drury, journalist and editor with the Vancouver New-Herald and the Victoria Times, was born on 16 February 1893 in Victoria, the son of former MLA R.L. Drury and Mrs. Drury. He was educated at Boys' Central School, Victoria High School, the University of Toronto and the Columbia School of Journalism at Columbia University, New York, graduating from Columbia in 1915.
Drury began his career in journalism as a reporter for the Victoria Daily Colonist in the summer of 1910, covering the visit to Prince Rupert of Sir Wilfred Laurier, Prime Minister of Canada. He late studied piano at the Toronto Conservatory of Music, returning to Victoria and working for the Victoria Times until he went overseas with the Canadian Army in 1917. After the war he returned to work for the Times and served in various senior positions, including editor, until he left in 1944 to become editor of the Vancouver News-Herald and later assistant to the publisher of the Vancouver Sun. He retired from journalism in 1953 and returned to live in Victoria with his wife Katherine; he died in Victoria in 1971.
As a journalist Drury covered many important events, including the united Nations Conference on International Organization (UNCIO) in San Francisco from April to June, 1945, and also participated in journalism conferences including the Empire Press Union's Imperial Press Conferences in London, England (1946) and Ottawa (1950). Apart from journalism Drury was active in the local community, serving as Chairman of the Canadian Civil Liberties Union, Vancouver Branch, (1950), and on the Victoria Centennial Pioneers' Committee (1962). He collected song sheets, reflecting his continuing interest in music, and kept informed of current events, acquiring numerous newspapers, magazines, and ephemeral material.