Title and statement of responsibility area
Arabic manuscripts collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on the content of the collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
ca. 1000-1790 (Creation)
Physical description area
1 item ; 9.5 x 12.5 cm, original leather binding ; illuminated in colour + 391 slides made from the mss and other material
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Since the 1980's the University of Victoria has been collecting Islamic manuscripts to serve the interests of History in Art. The provenance of the manuscripts is unknown.
Scope and content
The collection consists of six items:
1) En'am-i Serif [Turkish calligraphic manuscript].- consists of several chapters of the Qur'an, Arabic and Ottoman and Turkish prayers, calligraphic rondels and seals, hilyes, and miniature paintings of the Kaba, the Prophet's Mosque at Medina, his personal belongings such as his cloak, prayer beads etc., his hand and foot print and similar images. Special Collections had slides made of this manuscript. A second set of these slides is available in the Slide Library (History in Art Dept.).
2) al-Jazri, Mohammed. - consists of a single leaf from an 18th century religious manuscript, "Hassi Hasin" (Prayer and Contemplation). It is written in Arabic (probably in Turkey) in the Nashki hand. It may be an Ishmaeli text. It is illuminated, gilded and decorated with a floral motif.
3) Firdawsi. Shah Nameh. consists of a single leaf from an 18th century copy.
4) Koran. India. 17th -18th century?
5) Koran. China. 17th -18th century?
6) Maghribi Qur'an (Koran) Bifolium. Late 10th or 11th century. Kufic script.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restricted access to Turkish Calligraphic mss, due to extreme fragility of item. Slides available for viewing.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Generated finding aid
Includes 1 leaf + 2 leaf mss translation, 1 leaf, 1 v. ; 18 x 29 cm, original leather binding (damaged)
Place access points
Name access points
- Muḥammad, Prophet, d. 632 (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Revised by JF, June 17, 2013.
Language of description