Fonds SC392 - Charles Vernon Smith fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Charles Vernon Smith fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UVICARCH SC392

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • ca. 1943 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

The Y-building or "chicken farm" was a top secret listening post for the Canadian Naval Intelligence Branch in W.W. II. According to Bruce Brown (who as Aide to the Admiral visited the station during this period), the Americans had broken the Japanese code prior to the war. Information retrieved from Japanese transmissions at this and other similar stations was forwarded to Ottawa and Washington. Initially it was staffed with naval personnel (starting ca.1940). Wrens replaced the station staff in 1944, for the duration of the war. Only in 1964, due to National Security issues, was information about the Station made available to the public. It was located on what is now the campus of the University of Victoria.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a framed computer scan of a photograph. Vernon Smith, who is in the photograph, has supplied the Title and information above the picture. He has also provided identification of the staff below the photo. On the back of the photo is a photocopy of a clipping from the Victoria Times Colonist" dated 14 Aug 1995, relating to the history of the Station. Smith has typed on the top of it a list of early members of staff and below it, a list of people missing from the photograph. Copies of photographs of the station (from the National Archives of Canada) are located in the Bruce Brown collection (including the one in the clipping). There is also a copy of a scrapbook kept when the WRENS replaced the male personnel in 1944, in the Dorothy Robertson fonds.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Generated finding aid

Associated materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

charles-vernon-smith-fonds

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised by JF, June 24, 2013.

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area